Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Photography
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 11:48:51 +0100

BOB wrote:

>I sincerely appreciate your enthusiasm for the list.   In my opinion Curt has
>a wonderful proposal.  Perhaps I have been on a different list than you
>describe.  I have read around 80% of LUG postings during the past 6 months
>and, for me, most are a waste of time.  I have found postings from LUGERS
>about their personal experiences with Leicas, particularly those with
>photographs and comments, very interesting.   Postings that actually advance
>the art of photography are few and far between.>>>>>>

Hi Bob,

I guess I have to ask, how many postings did you do during the six months
of lurking experience? And if not, did you not have something to add or
make an improvement to the conversations in relation to what you say was,
80% throw away material?  Or possibly what you might have posted been in
the 80% throw away?

<<<<Postings that actually advance the art of photography are few and far
between>>>>>

So are you saying you'd like to hear how a shoot went with the technical
details? Or what aperture to use for what effect? What films I or others
use? What Leica lens to get what effect? What shutter speed was used? The
list is endless unless "advance the art of photography" can be defined in
some manner.

And what do you actually mean "advance the art of photography?"  Sure we
get a tad personal, but if you just hang back and contribute nothing but
negative observation without actual details on what you want to improve or
know, how are we as a family going to accomodate what you feel is lacking?
And have you contribute to the discussion?

Surely you're not one of those people who always sits back, says nothing
and just wants to be spoon fed and entertained. And I'm not suggesting you
are for one second, as now is your opportunity to "improve the LUG towards
the advancement in the art of photography!

And Curt is in the same category, change doesn't happen without involvement!

And if he thinks starting another list pertaining to "how to do what"?
"Advance the art of photography?" is going to make a difference to Leica
picture taking, when you already have a unique group of experienced "in
every discipline of photography" Leica people around the world right here
on the LUG, that collectively could advance photography faster than a
person can spit, if they know what needs to be advanced! Not sure what he's
talking about either, as we sure don't have the "collector traffic" that we
did a year or two ago. An unfortunate loss of conversation! Wasn't my cup
of tea, however some of it was fascinating.

>Please don't take this personally.  What Curt describes would move the group
>from the equipment piece to the art of photography.  I think that this would
>enhance Leica photography.>>>>>>>>>

Nope, I don't take things personally any more, too old for that nonsense,
just look at where it's coming from and in most cases allow for the sender
to explain himself if necessary. Other wise I don't get mad, I get even! :)
Generally we don't take things personally in here although at times it
might become somewhat heated discussion! :) And just what will Curt do that
he can't do here, when we are all Leica photographers looking to improve
our lot as shooters?

Dang, another long one. But somehow it's the only way I can get a handle on
this "advance the art of photography" when I don't know what the hell needs
to be advanced!  Somebody please explain it in common folk words! Maybe
draw pictures.;)
ted