Subject: Re: [Leica] Why we use Leica (was potential image quality)
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 10:19:03 +0000

Eric Welch wrote:

>   Is there a Nikon rep in LA?  Who knows?
>
> They have their West Coast office in LA. (NPS, etc.)
>
> As for staffer jobs, not that many papers supply their cameras. Bigger
> papers do, but there aren't that many of tem. Now that digital is taking
> over, papers will have to do it, because there is no way a staff
> photographer at most newspapers can afford $30,000 to $50,000 worth of
> equipment.

Retorical question, Eric, about NPS.  Their arrogance knows no bounds.
One photographer I know who finally in irritation switched to Canon and
told them.  The local rep said, I'm not worried, you'll come back to
Nikon.  He won't.  In fact, now uses mostly Tamron lenses.

If Leica had a really active loaner, rental program, they might see
inroads into pro market.  It is one major draw back using
Leica--virtually impossible for easy rental of esoteric or even backup
gear.  I'd have to go to Los Angeles to find anything at all.  And then
pay shipping, extra rental days for travel, etc.

donal
- --
Donal Philby
San Diego