Subject: [Leica] Re: CL and the 24/21
From: David Young <youngs@IslandNet.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 13:47:14

At 09:51 AM 30/07/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi!
>
>As I'm currently switching from a Leica R system to a CL system, I want to
>add a 21/24mm lens to my 40 & 90mm lenses.  Now which lenses will fit on my
>CL?  I'll be buying used and my first choice would be a 21 f3.4
>super-angulon but will it mount?  What about the 24?  Is the 24 as good as
>the 21SA?
>

>Thanks,
- ------

James :

According to the Leica handbook, the following lenses may not be used with
the CL:

[a] those lenses whose rear elements enter too far into the body of the
camera, as that would interefere (and damage) the swing-out arm which
carries the photocell. These lenses are the 28mm Elmarit f2.8 below s/n
2314921 and the 21mm Super-Angulon.

[b] M series lenses with 'eyes', such as the 35mm for M3 and 135mm for M2.

[c] the 90/2 and 135 Tele-Elmar/4, though no reason is given for these two
exceptions.

[d] collapsible lenses either must not be collapsed when attached to the
body, or must have a strip of DYMO (or similar) tape put round the lens
barrels, to prevent their being fully collapsed and again damaging the
meter cell arm. (Appropriate sizes are in the Leica Handbook)

As for the differences between the 21SA & the 24?  With luck, someone on
this list has used both.  But it's not me!

Hope this helps.

David Young,     | Chocolate... it isn''t
Victoria, CANADA | just for breakfast, anymore!