Subject: RE: [Leica] Trolling and quality control
From: jeremy.kime@bbc.co.uk
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 8:36:00 +0000

Noel,
It would seem, then, that the whole computer world has accepted the
perversion of the word 'trawling' (as in fishing) to 'trolling' (er, as
in Scandinavia).
Are there any other thoughts on this as I find this hard to believe?

Jem

A line on topic, I once shot a picture of a trawler with my Leica but
I've never yet photographed a troll.

Alex,
trolling is used in the analogy to fishing, where a line is pulled
after a slow boat to cover more territory and catch a fish. In
computerese, it is putting out a controversial question or statement in
order to cover a lot of territory, and reel in some big fish in the way
of
impassioned responses.

Noel Charchuk