Subject: Re: [Leica] audio gear , leica gear
From: reviews_ed.hifichoice@dennis.co.uk (Alan Sircom)
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 10:25:04 +0000

There are some strong similarities between owning high-end hi-fi and
top quality camera equipment. Both have a 'professional' cachet about
them, even though the majority of users are not professionals per se.
Pride in ownership, the knowledge that you don't run with the
mainstream pack, and build quality far above run-of-the-mill products
all add to the experience. So does the performance, which is far above
those regular products, or at least that's the perception of the owner
of the high-end hi-fi/camera/watch/whatever.

Trawling around the hi-fi shows, one notices a number of - admittedly
predominantly male - high-enders who seem to share the same interests.
I cannot cound the number who wear Swiss watches, use Leicas (although
a fair number seem to wear both as fashion accessories) or know the
best place to buy a good Cohiba.

Is this all overkill? Could the owner of an SME Model 30 turntable or a
Krell Audio Standard power amplifier tell it apart from less expensive
kit in blind listening? Or could the average Leica owner tell a
photograph made on a Leica M6 apart from one made on a Samsung compact?
We'd all like to think so and in as near scientific tests as any
commercial magazine can muster we find there are differences in both
subjective and objective perofrmance. But the actual result is
unimportant if you believe there is an improvement.

Good hi-fi won't make one a better listener or improve one's
recordings, but neither will a good camera make one a better
photographer. Avedon has often limited his new students first
assignment to a photo booth (it's a remarkably useful exercise) and a
good photographer will get good pictures from even the nastiest camera
(perhaps this is why the best musicians often have the poorest hi-fi).
That said, there is no sense in using second-best tools for the job.