Subject: [Leica] M6 + Noctilux
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 08:03:25 -0700

The M6 plus the Noctilux, is the king of available darkness photography for
two reasons (perhaps more.) The two I speak of are 1.) it is Leica Noctilux
glass, and 2.) it is heavy. Because it is heavy, you can hand hold this
lens down on the 1/15, 1/8, 1/4 second range and get fantastic results. BUT
DON'T TAKE MY WORD FOR IT. Please go to:

http://www.nygord-precision.com/unique.htm

where you will read: "Please Note: All DES pistols shown above come in a
hard case with two magazines, and a choice of one of the following barrel
weights - 90, 120, 220, or 300 g. Extra weights are available as an
option." This is on a virtually recoilless .22 cal competition pistol.
Compton airguns come with the same system of weights. Competition airguns
are TOTALLY RECOILLESS by design. The weight is to give your muscles
something to work against. I use 500g. on a competition air pistol. The
lower weights are so children can get involved in competition shooting. But
the weight still serves the same purpose. To help your muscles hold steady.

Over the years I have posted erroneous data on the LUG and was immediately
taken to task, usually by Erwin Puts. I am grateful for it, thank you
Erwin. I now spend the time to, as completely as possible, research what I
post to the LUG. I try my very best to post factual data. And if I'm wrong,
I want to know the real facts, as usually pointed out by Erwin.

The LUG is read by many hundreds of people, looking for information. The
least we can do is attempt to be truthful and accurate.

My long post on R lenses and cams (Cams 101) is simply data copied from
several Leica books and catalogs. There is missing data (as pointed out by
Jeff). But no erroneous data. Instead of making up all of this data, I
spent the time to research it.

I have learned to be careful about what I say. It needs to be accurate. A
lot of people can be affected if it is not.

Jim