Subject: SV: [Leica] Mis-information and innuendo(1)
From: "Alan Hull" <hull@vaggeryd.mail.telia.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 22:52:57 +0200

Jim Brick.  I am disgusted at your raving response to my previous post.
 I will reply in segments on seperate posts for easy reading.

It would, IMHO, be irresponsible to allow a child to walk around with a
leica.  The child could be mugged and robbed.

This is totally un-true. I find that very very few people know what a
Leica
is. One would be far more likely to be mugged while carrying a Nikon,
Minolta, Canon, or Pentax. These are household brand names. Leica is
not.
During the decades of using a Leica, and my son's 17 years of using a
Leica
(he's 27 now) I can count on one hand the number of people who, while
talking to them out in the field, knew what the brand Leica is. If you
are
worried... use black tape.

Maybe where you live that could be true.  But you are not the only one
on this list, I addressed my post to the international community.  I am
six foot six and there are places in this world where I am
uncomfortable with a Leica round my neck.  You have a low opinion of
the intelligence of thieves and muggers and thats fine if its YOUR
safety on the line.  To gamble the safety of a child on the chance that
a thief cannot recognise a Leica is irresponsible.  And I am writing
about now, 1998, not 17 years ago.

Alan Hull