Subject: RE: [Leica] Hassie M7?
From: Matthew Phillips <mlphilli@hsc.vcu.edu>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 15:10:37 -0400

>And, assuming that this isn't all a hoax - and that photo sure looks like a
>cut-and-paste job to me! - there comes the big question - why f4 lenses?

Why f/4? These lenses are projecting an image circle large enough to
comfortably cover a medium format sized 65mm wide negative - and according
to the Hasselblad press release, compact optics was a design objective.
Anything much faster would've been much larger, and as Leica M users know,
when the lens barrel grows too stout, a sizeable slice of the image is no
longer visible through the finder.

I'm curious to see wider-angle lenses developed for this new format. So
far, everything I've seen covering that size (width) negative that was much
shorter than 45mm suffered from enough of a vignetting problem to warrant
use of a graduated ND filter.

Regards,

M.Phillips