Subject: [Leica] TID> MR Meter
From: Bud Cook <budcook@ibm.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 12:25:43 -0500

James,
The MR meter has an acceptance angle the same as a 90mm lens so that you can use
the 90mm frame on the Leica to select the metered subject.  This meter can work
very well for you and is of high quality and reliability.

The secret is not to try to outsmart the meter.  Simply select with the 90mm frame
the important area of the subject and then just trust the meter.

As you look through the viewfinder of the camera, use one finger to select the
90mm frame and another to operate the meter.  After you have obtained a meter
reading, release the button and the meter will retain the reading.

Note that these meters require the use of a 1.35 volt mercury battery which cannot
be obtained from a U.S. merchant but are available in and from Canada as well as
from people on the Internet.

One last point... if you obtain a used MR/MR-4 meter, check it against a known
source to verify that it's operating correctly before you go off on a megabuck
vacation:-)  If you have an M4 Leica or later, you will need an MR-4 meter rather
than the earlier MR meter.

Bud