Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Gear & Kids
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 12:00:52 +0100

Alan wrote:
>It would, IMHO, be irresponsible to allow a child to walk around with a
>Leica.  The child could be mugged and robbed.
>
>Apart from that I don't think a child could do justice to the camera
>and lens, as they cannot hold a heavy all metal camera steady.
>
>All it would prove is that the child had a silly dillitant for a dad.

Alan,

I guess it depends on the child, as in what age are you talking about? As I
have an 8 year old grandson who handles my R8 very well....with winder,
obviously with supervision. But he takes his own pictures of whatever
subject he wishes. Blows a bunch, no worse than his grandfather at times
:), but also takes some interesting frames of his friends.

As far as being an..:.

<<<<<<"All it would prove is that the child had a silly dillitant for a
dad.(grandfather)">>>>>>>

I'm not sure you're right. Obviously if someone were to allow a 3 year old
loose with a Leica and running around without supervision, I'd question the
mental stability of the adult. :)

However there are children who would amaze you at what they can do with a
Leica...or any other camera and in some cases better than some adults work
I've seen.

Not trying to create an arguement, but it depends on the size of child (for
strength) and mental developement to understand what they have in their
hands, as well to understand what they see in frnt of them.

And I don't mean one would turn them loose in the neighbourhood roaming the
streets with a Leica, but they could do very well within the confines of
their own property.

Just another view on kids and cameras.

hell the best thing is, get any kind of camera into their hands as early as
you can and if the interest is kindled, one never knows where it might
lead.

Another HCB! :) or better?

ted