Subject: Re: [Leica] If Leica is too expensive what would be the best alternative?
From: Mark Walberg <Walberg@simmons.swmed.edu>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 12:40:39 -0600

If you want to use a manual rangefinder camera, but can't afford a Leica M,
the suggestions about Leica screw mount cameras are good.  However, another
outstanding rangefinder camera is the Konica IIIA and IIIM.  These are
solid cameras with really wonderful rangefinder/viewfinders.  Their
viewfinders are a true 100% magnification - more even than the M3 or M6
High Mag.  This makes it really easy to view the scene with one eye through
the viewfinder and the other eye open seeing the whole scene. So, your
field of view is darned near 180 degrees.  It is easy to see what is coming
into the fied of view from outside the frame.
The only thing you don't get on a Konica IIIA or IIIM is interchangeable
lenses.  However, the 48 f2 and the 50 f1.8 found on these cameras are both
very good lenses.  If you were just going to use the 50 on your Leica, then
you haven't lost much at all.
- -Mark Walberg