Subject: [Leica] M3
From: Gary Elshaw <gary.elshaw@vuw.ac.nz>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 00:44:39 +1200

Hi Nathan,

The serial number is 1129202 and I know it was manufactured in 1962, but
any information regarding why Leica manufactured these self-timerless
cameras has been elusive. Has anyone on the list managed to find out who
originally owned their secondhand pride and joy?

Gary

If you post the serial number, it will be easier to help you identify your M3.

Nathan

Gary Elshaw wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm a very recent Leica owner  (i've been using a Leica III for the last 6
> months), and owning an M series Leica was a dream. My M3 finally arrived
> today, consequently, i'm very happy.However it seems i'm now the owner of a
> special M3! It has no self-timer and according to the Leica representatives
> here is rare, and is a part of the 'modified for professionals' set of M3's
> Leica produced. I'm going to write to Leica and see if i can elicit a
> little more information, but does anyone on the list here have any
> information about these?

"...the silence of reason is required for the curing of monsters..."

                                      -Michel Foucault
                                         The Order of Discourse

Gary Elshaw
Post-Grad Student