Subject: Re: [Leica] Gen. Loan
From: Alexey Merz <alexey@webcom.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 12:03:48 +0100

I just read Page's memoir (Page After Page), and his two books of
pictures taken in SE Asia. A remarkable story - he was an English
kid who drove to Viet Nam (Laos, actually) via India, developing
a variety of drug habits along the way, and ended up being one
of the definitive image makers of the war. He had (maybe) more
work published by Life than any other freelancer working in that
war. The thing that really strikes me about his pictures is how
they combine very simple composition - perhaps because he was
shooting for the wire - with tremendous emotional intensity.

Back on subject, while he used lots of cameras, it's clear that
he has special affection for his M's - particularly the one
that saved his eye from a piece of shrapnel.

- -Alexey

Alexey Merz | URL: http://www.webcom.com/alexey | email: alexey@webcom.com
            | PGP public key: http://pgp5.ai.mit.edu/ | voice:503/494-6840
            |"...during my five minutes of reflection, the world spent ten