Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Gear & Kids
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 23:13:41 -0700

At 09:30 PM 7/19/98 -0700, you wrote:
>> From: Mark
>> how many list members who have kids 12 and under, and who encourage their
>children to
>> explore photography, have purchased leica equipment for their children ??

One of my sons was very interested in Photography at around 10. He
occasionally used my old Alpa 10d (under my supervision). He wanted a
camera, I was using an R3, so I found a very well used SL for $200 and a
very well used 50 Summicron for $150. These were on the low end of Ex.
Maybe Good. But they were mechanically and optically flawless. Just
cosmetically very rough. I got the SL for him BECAUSE, I wanted him to
learn the science behind photography, not just to point and shoot. The SL
worked out very well, and he eventually bought an R3 and 35-70 zoom. I sold
the old SL but still have and use the old 50 Summicron. He got to know
Walter Heun and Ronnie Grieco quite well. I think it is important for young
people to learn WHY there are f/stops and shutter speeds, WHAT depth of
field is, HOW to control it. WHAT does film speed mean. Etc... If you
understand how the system works, then you can concentrate on WHAT you
photograph and it's composition, and not be surprised when the results
don't resemble what as in your mind when you squeezed the shutter release.
You can do the proper things to insure that your results are indeed just
exactly what you wanted.

Jim