Subject: [Leica] Binoculars and Relative Worth
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 11:53:57 -0400

At 07:57 AM 7/19/98 -0700, the anonymous mark wrote:
>i was in KSP yesterday and observed a father choosing some binoculars
>for his family. his 5 year old (seemingly) daughter was with him. he
>was leading himself towards purchasing the leica binoculars ($1000++).
>he clearly wanted to purchase the binoculars for his family, he kept
>trying them out on his daughter. i noticed that his level of "fuss"
>went up about 3 notches when she had the leica binoculars in her hands
>as opposed to the ashi pentax binoculars ($300). in fact, his fuss level
>was raised to the point where his daughter was having a hard time
>with him.

Well, by any rational standard, the Asahi Pentax binoculars are simply junk
compared to the Leica binoculars.  The difference in optical quality is
stunning.  Asahi makes world-class sports optics, but they do not export
such to the US, as the freight is a bit higher than Zeiss and Leica and
Docter charge.

I am not denying that price plays a role in our purchasing, but the simple
desire to buy quality binoculars ought not be characterized as the simple
buying of a "toy".

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!