Subject: Re: [Leica] LF
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 18:17:56 -0700

> From: Martin V. Howard
> I realize this is WAY off topic, but I'm toying with the idea of getting
> a second-hand large-format view camera.

To test the waters, I recommend looking for a used Graphic View by Graflex.
You can find this old beast in the $200 range, sometimes with a used Kodak
Ektar lens for only another $100 or so (just be sure the camera includes
the tripod head for the triangular monorail). I bought the whole kit myself
(Ektar 203mm/f7.7) along with a used D3 Omega enlarger for 4x5 at a garage
sale for $300 total a year ago (I did have to pay a decent price for a 4x5
enlarging lens, tho). So for less than an ugly and battered M2, I was into
"toying' with LF! Now I also have a used Graflex Super Graphic - a compact
and very sturdy field camera (very similar to the expensive Toyo 4x5),
along with two more lenses.

If you like Leica enlargements for their sharpness and detail, then you'll
love 4x5. But get used to slowing WAY down and using whole new parts of
your brain and patience. Switching between Leica and LF is sort of like
going from the hot sauna to the cold lake and vice versa - the contrast is
very refreshing.

I also run a local wanted ad for old German cameras, "especially Leica". So
what shows up yesterday - an 1880's "Rochester" 8x10 camera! The deal was
too good to pass up, so now I guess I'm into XLF (Extra Large Format)!
Anybody have any surplus 8x10 film for testing my new toy?

> if anyone here can suggest a good book  that explains the basics.

Two used books in my library that I found for about $10 each:
	"Graphics Graflex Photography", Morgan and Lester, 1950's various editions
	"Linhof Practice", Nikolaus Karpf, 1959

Har det so bra!

Gary Todoroff