Subject: [Leica] M6 metering calibration
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 10:06:34 +0200

Feeling really quite stupid in the face of the recent "MESS" posts, I'd
like to come back to something a little nearer my field of
preoccupations.

I shoot mainly slides with my M system. With my previous systems (from
other brands) I had the habit of keying in a slight underexposure ratio
(between 1/3 and 1/2 stop)when I wanted to accentuate colour saturation.
I've done this a few times with my M system but even 1/3 stop seems to
be too much. So I stopped doing it altogether.

My question is: does Leica systematically induce underexposure through
their calibration settings or is my meter not behaving the way it should
? And if this is Leica calibration, has it been defined once and for all
? I would say that for a given ISO setting, my M6 underexposes by 1/3
stop at least.

Again, if this is Leica policy, would it not explain at least part of
the "Leica difference" when slides are the media and non informed users
the viewers ?  ;-)

Alan
Brussels-Belgium