Subject: Re: [Leica] Napa Valley Trip
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 18:46:46 -0700

Bill,

Jennie's and my next book is "for the Love of NAPA VALLEY, a Scenic Natural
Cookbook" which will the third in our series. We have photographed and
visited everywhere in the Napa Valley. The two most photogenic times are
Feb & Mar when the mustard flowers fill the grape vine rows (bad mustard
year this past spring) and fall when the leaves turn red/yellow/etc... This
time of the year, you'll find green vines, grapes, and lots of tourists.
The best wineries to visit (for the sake of the visit) is Sterling and
Mumm. Sterling has a gondola that takes you high on a hill overlooking Napa
Valley. Also on the hill is the working winery and you are free to tour
everything. Great view. Great tour. Sterling is on Highway 29 just before
you get to Calistoga. Mumm is on the Silverado Trail between the Oakville
Cross road and Zinfandel Lane. It is a very nice place, good food, wine,
champagne, and (last time I was there - a few months ago) a very old Ansel
Adams exhibit. This exhibit shakes you back into reality about Ansel Adams.
When starting out, he was just an ordinary photographer. These photographs
were taken while Ansel was a working commercial photographer. No darkroom
magic here. Worth seeing if it's still there.

Eating is easy. It's difficult to find bad food in Napa Valley. The
"famous" restaurants are Mustards Grill near Rutherford on 29, Piatti in
Yontville, Calistoga Inn Restaurant in Calistoga, Vines in St Helena,
Pacific Blue (inexpensive but very good) in Yontville, etc...

Jim

>LEICAMAN56@aol.com wrote:
>
>> Dear LUGgers,
>>
>> I will be in the Bay Area for a few days the end of July visiting family
(in
>> San Jose).  I'd like to visit the Napa Valley on a day trip and would like
>> some pointers as to where to go.  I'd like to tour some vineyards.
Which are