Subject: Re: [Leica] Rick's Place
From: Jeff Moore <jbm@instinet.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 13:26:48 -0300

At 10 Jul 1998 17:50:10 +0200, jorge@cybernetrix.com (Jorge Fernandez) wrote:

> Since I'd like to travel as light as possible and yet maintain the
> best quality, should I go for the medium format (only a "normal"
> lens) or settle on the smaller negative with the versatility of 4
> lenses(21,35,50,90). The best shots will probably be blown up to 8x10
> and film is both chrome and b/w for both formats. My Leica images
> blown to 8x10 rarely look as good as the medium format ones blown to
> the same size (all else being equal). Any ideas?

As can others, I can certainly wade in with ideas;  but I question how
useful they's be to someone else.

I remember a recent trip when I dragged along a Mamiya 7 and an M6.  I
kept feeling I had to force myself to use the Mamiya "for better
quality";  it showed in the pictures, as they were the ones which
indeed looked "forced", and had no intrinsically appealing qualities
other than low grain.  This, though, is probably more a symptom of my
far greater comfort level with the Leica than of anything intrinsic to
the Mamiya.

I, personally, would be tempted to either:

  - take just the Leica outfit, perhaps omitting the 50mm to cut down
    on stuff carried;

 or

  - Take the Mamiya, and no 120 film but Tri-X (since the bigger
    negative is such a luxury in the darkroom, and I love the tonal
    qualities of Tri-X but not necessarily always the grain, hence the
    appeal of larger tracts of film; and take the Leica with, say,
    just the color film of your choice (the color rendering
    characteristics of Leica glass are seductive), and just the 35mm
    (for almost universal use) and perhaps the 90mm (for occasional
    use when you just can's get as close as you need to).

...but, as I said, that's just me.

 -Jeff Moore <jbm@interactive.net>