Subject: [Leica] Spot meters......
From: "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 9:03:57 -0500

I use the built in spot meter in my SLR cameras 100% of the time,  except
for flash.  I've got a Minolta spot F that I use for 4x5.

Once you learn how,  and it's not that hard, you'll be able to handle any
situation quickly and correctly.  The best part is you can easily see the
range of luminance within any given scene.  With that info you'll know
whether or not your slide film can handle the entire range of light
values.  Any time you photograph subjects that are predominately dark or
predominately light, averaging camera meters aren't going to do a great
job.   Go take pictures at a hospital where everything is white and
expect underexposed slides.  At least that's what my EOS 1n does....
(unless I override it) and for pictures of landscapes that are full of
dark green patchwork fields, it gives overexposed slides.   And then
there is backlighting.............

Duane Birkey

HCJB World Radio
Quito Ecuador