Subject: Re: [Leica] Today's Great Photographers {was Photo whores}
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 1998 19:37:49 -0500

At 03:54 PM 7/8/98 -0400, you wrote:

>It seems to me that when discussing great images of the past, the period in
>which these images were taken were historically significant, i.e., great
>depression, WWII, Viet Nam, etc.  Maybe Eric Welch or other pros out there
can
>answer this better than I, but do we need major historical events to produce
>great photojournalism that 95% of the public will take interest?

Not at all. My paper does it all the time. We are unusual I will admit. Few
papers give such extravagant space to "just" photos. We have a photo page
that runs every Thursday. It is very well read, and ranges through topics
of birth of a child to a movie company burning down a local deserted town,
to chicken ranchers, to serious diseases people deal with, to the county
fair. It's a blast, and our readers love it.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch