Subject: RE: [Leica] Today's Great Photographers {was Photo whores}
From: "B. D. Colen" <BDColen@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 17:59:30 -0400

It seems to me that when discussing great images of the past, the period in
which these images were taken were historically significant, i.e., great
depression, WWII, Viet Nam, etc.  Maybe Eric Welch or other pros out there
can
answer this better than I, but do we need major historical events to produce
great photojournalism that 95% of the public will take interest?

Arturo

Arturo - I think not. But I think part of what you are referring to is the
subjects themselves, more than the photography per se. War makes compelling
photographic material. Armies marching into Paris make compelling
photographs. A napalmed naked child running down a road makes a compelling
photo subject, and you don't need to be HBC, Larry Burrows, or Eddie Adams
to get a great photo of that.

The Great Depression was, I believe, another matter entirely. While it
didn't take much of an artist to get a compelling photo of a bread line, it
did take a real photographer - with a real eye - to get most of the
portraits and most memorable images produced during that period.

Again, I don't think what we're talking about is what the public will or
won't respond to, but what editors are interested in printing. And what they
seem to be interested in is celebrities, etc.

B. D.