Subject: [Leica] Flare, contrast, coatings
From: Charles Dunlap <cdunlap@es.UCSC.EDU>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 10:41:55 -0800

> But the general
>performance of the lens should not be significantly affected by lens
>coatings in normal shooting.

This is interesting. I had always thought that flare when shooting against
the light was an obvious, exagerrated symptom of flare in the lens overall.
Even in general shooting, therefore, I figured that such a lens would
suffer in contrast compared to one that did control the contre-jour flare.

Looked at another way--if a lens has coatings that allow it to control
flare in the extreme case (contre-jour), wouldn't that translate into
better contrast (or micro-contrast) in normal situations?

- -Charlie

             Charles E. Dunlap
         Earth Sciences Department
          University of California
            Santa Cruz, CA 95064
Tel.: (408) 459-5228    Fax.: (408) 459-3074

         mailto:cdunlap@es.ucsc.edu