Subject: Re: [Leica] Photo whores {was Life magazine}
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 1998 23:43:08 -0500

At 07:53 PM 7/7/98 -0700, you wrote:

>how many photographers were at wimbledon ? how many truly great photographs
>were taken ? i'll wager two or three....given the number of actual shots
>taken my granny probably *could* do better !! :-)

This attitude is part of the problem. No matter how boring the stuff you
see in the magazines is, the truly great photographers can stand right next
to someone else photographing the same thing, and make better pictures. And
you can bet there were a bunch of great pictures taken at Wimbeldon. You
just don't seem many of them. Society is so exposed to great photos they
start thinking there are no great photos out there. Hogwash. There's lots
of great photos, in spite of the magazines. We just don't see them.

And your granny's stuff would look lots worse, and having an auto camera is
of no help here. A properly exposed bad picture, a properly focused bad
pictures is that.

A bad picture.

Amateur or pro makes no difference. Though pros have a lot more time to
practice, so the proportion of good work is done by more pros, on average,
than amateurs. But then average doesn't tell us much. It's the extremes
that define the limits.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.