Subject: Re: [Leica] Photo whores {was Life magazine}
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 1998 23:37:18 -0500

At 07:59 PM 7/7/98 +0100, you wrote:

>It's one of the truly great professions of life involvement, but it is fast
>disappearing due to many factors; primarily bean counters, share holders
>and  fickle people who don't buy quality journalism. But most of all,
>visually illiterate editors and visually challenged designers!

One of the reasons I have chosen to become an editor myself. So I can have
an impact on the use of quality photography. But having to deal with
visually illiterate word herders who think that photos never determine
placement, well, I'm just sick of such a lame attitude.

Well, then, write/edit better stories you dolts!

On the difficulty of photography, there's something I have discerned, even
amongst professional photographers, let alone the amateurs who answer to no
editor.

One group knows good pictures and sweats it out to make them. As Ansel
Adams said, "A set of 12 good negatives in a year has been a good year."
(paraphrased)

The other group thinks that because a person gets a picture - any picture -
of an important or interesting place/person/situation means it's a good
picture. Not true!

- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Everybody has a photographic memory- most just forget to load the film.