Subject: [Leica] anal retentive? only a little
From: Summicron1@aol.com
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 13:26:17 EDT

In a message dated 7/6/98 7:19:05 AM, don ferraro wrote:

<<This is probably the king of FAQ, but refresh
my memory.  Do you focus the M6:

1. Starting with the lens at near focus, moving out
                  or
2. starting with the lens at infinity, moving in?

I'm wondering if I'm just doing it wrong?  I have
been using method #1 (start closer than needed)

my response -- good god, it does not matter. if your pictures are out of focus
it is because you aren't focusing properly, period. If something is coming at
you, follow it in, get ahead of it, anticipate. for things going away, ditto.

but to be worried about which direction of focus is "right?" It does not
matter. But,the scary thing is that I just know this question will elicit a
huge string of answers, including several opinions on which fingers to use.

 if your pictures are fuzzy with  your brand new M6 its because you are not
used to taking pictures with it.  Photography is a skill which must be
learned, and that includes holding the machine. Buy a dozen rolls of cheap
film and practice. This is especially true with a 90 mm lens -- follow the
standard rule of never using a shutter speed lower than the length of the lens
without a tripod -- i don't care what camera you use, using a 90 mm lens at
/25th of a second is asking for fuzz.

charlie trentelman
ogden utah