Subject: Re: [Leica] my M7
From: Jeff Moore <jbm@instinet.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 1998 12:21:41 -0300

At 02 Jul 1998 14:23:09 -0700, Francesco Sanfilippo <fls@5senses.com> wrote:

> 1.  A small, clear window in the back plate so one can see which film
> one has loaded in the camera...

I could take this one or leave it.  It'd be moderately handy, but I suspect
it'd require that the camera be redesigned to have the usual opening back, so
the necessary light seals would loosen and compress in the right way.  Quite
possibly not worth the trouble.

> 2.  A slightly protruding shutter speed dial.

Sure, I wouldn't throw a more R8-esque dial out of bed.  But the current one
isn't much of a problem to turn with a finger on the edge while looking at the
little glowing triangles even now.

> 3.  A different ASA dial, please!

I guess.  The current one doesn't really bother me.  I'm actually charmed by
its resemblance to the reminder-only dial of yore.

> 4.  An "R" lever that stays in place.  Half of the times I go to rewind,
> the "R" lever springs back to its resting position

Then your camera's mildly out of whack.  In all three of my Ms, the lever
stays down until the next wind.

> and the spool spins rapidly backwards.

Huh?

> That's all I can think of now.

Fascinating.  The only one of the above which had occurred to me as
potentially part of a package of M7 improvements was (2), and that mainly
because I thought it might be implied after adding something I thought
actually *would* be useful, higher top shutter speeds (to allow those nice
large-aperture lenses to be used wider open in bright light without fussing
with ND filters).

And please, the higher flash sync.  Then ship it.

 -Jeff Moore <jbm@instinet.com>