Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Int'l price differences
From: Denton Taylor <denton@asan.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 1998 14:10:20 -0400

Leica cameras and lenses are basically hand made. This means by humans.
Humans have problems outside of work that effect their work. You know...
never buy a car that was assembled on Monday or Friday... Anyway, if the
process was purely robotic in nature and the human factor could be taken
out, there might be a chance of a problem-free product. But it's not likely
in either this or the next millennium.

As far as ISO 9000 goes. I do not believe it has raised consumer
expectations. First of all, perhaps .0001% of the consumers even know what
it is. 99% of them don't even know what an ISO number on film is. And those
who do know what ISO 9000 is, know better than to, in reality, expect much
out of it other that a giant pain for the poor company that has had to
subscribe to the process. Remember, it's still humans that administer ISO
9000. They are all looking at the "bottom line." It's a process, not a
guarantee.

In summary, I don't expect to ever hear that Leica equipment is 100%
reliable. My equipment has been exemplary, but I've come across a few
glitches in the continuum. As we speak, I am waiting the return of one of
my new lenses from repair in NJ. The zoom mechanism on my 70-180 APO Zoom
was gritty, rough, and stiff in places. Clearly a *human* QC problem.

We've got to take those damn humans out of the process! They foul up
everything. ;-)

Your points are well taken. No product is 100% perfect. However one would
expect the most expensive products to have the fewest quality problems. I
certainly hope mine does!

Robotics is not the answer. Most of the finest products in the world have a
high degree of hand work. From Ferarris on down. What robotics HAS done is
to make lesser goods more affordable. As the owner of a manufacturing
business, I am also aware many firms have had bad experiences with
robotics. Not ready for prime time yet!

Regards,

Denton Taylor
Photogallery at www.dentontaylor.com