Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: User screw body
From: Hunt <huntmc2@fuse.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 1998 01:51:55 -0400

All cassettes will fit; after all, the Leica defined the size. Older
Leica-made brass reusable cassettes will not fit the M cameras--they can
be identified by an all-black stud that fits into the baseplate.  Newer
cassettes, which have a chrome stud, fit all Leicas. (Yes there is an
ancient cassette which fits only the model A, but I have never seen
one).
The problem with SM bodies is the film leader, which must be cut to fit
the drawing on the inside bottom of the camera.  Leica made (and the
Japanese copied) a cutting template. I usually cut the film freehand
with little scissors if I am using company-spooled film.
Improper loading is a prime cause of camera failure, because the film
inbetween the sprocket holes can be broken off, and fall into the
shutter mechanism.  But learning to load the Leica properly is easier
than learning the piano.  Marshall

 IIIc and IIIg screw-mount camera bodies?