Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Int'l price differences
From: Mark <mark@steinberg.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 1998 14:46:13 -0700

Bill Erfurth wrote:

> So if I am going to Europe and the price is roughly
> the same as it is in the US, plus I get the VAT tax refunded why not
> buy it there?

that's interesting. on a recent trip to london i found prices of leica
gear to be substantially more than usa prices (at least at my local
shop). in general, the UK PST price was the same numeric value
as the USA $ price. as the exchange rate is about 1.7 $s to a PST
this represented substantially more than the 17.5% VAT.

further, unless one wants to smuggle, i believe that duty would be
owed on any leica gear as there is little they sell that is less
than the duty-free allowance.

mark