Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica-More Jim, less BS
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 1998 08:13:31 +0200

Jim Brick wrote:

> I apologize for the misunderstanding. And I, of course, don't ever mean, in
> any way to be rude. It's not my nature....<CUT>...

No harm done Jim. We should maybe all think twice before hitting the
reply button when personal things are mentionned : despite all the
smileys, tongue-in-cheek is not always visible in Internet posts ;-)

Regarding the core of the discussion, I think I have absolutely no
problem with your position. There is nothing "bad" in deciding to learn
photography with a Leica instead of a 2nd hand Electro 35 (which is what
i started with). Seems like a risky investment, that's all, but that is
the user's problem, not mine. My 9 year old kid enjoys using my M6. She
has a good eye for composition and likes photographing people. She does
it in a thoughtful way, not just point and shoot. She wanted a real
camera for her birthday and spontaneously asked for a Leica M. Please
believe me if I tell you she has absolutely no idea of the costs or the
status symbol carried by the Leica brand.

If I had had the means I would gladly have bought her a nice user M3. I
bought her a battered FM+50mm  instead. And she likes it to the point of
going on a photojournalism summer class. And to refer to another thread:
I did not consider for a split second buying a Rebel...

Friendly regards
Alan,
Brussels-belgium