Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica technology, creative control
From: "Joseph Codispoti" <joecodi@thegrid.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 17:10:31 -0700

From: Larry Kopitnik <kopitnil@mra-inc.com>
Date: Wednesday, July 01, 1998 4:00 PM

>What I stated in my post suggests to me that photographers will indeed pay
>large sums for their equipment if the manufacturer participates in creating
>demand for the product. $1700 is more than or very close to the price of
>several Leica lenses. But here's a Nikkor figuratively flying off the shelf
>while competitvely priced Leicas sit.

Which "several" Leica lenses one could buy for $1,700?

> But I also believe that Nikon's (and Canon's) more
>prominent support of their products in the U.S. through advertising and
>promotion helps to create more demand for their products. I do think that
>with more promotion of the virtures of their $1700 products -- smaller
>size, lighter weight and better quality both optically and mechanically --
>Leica could see their lenses figuratively fly as well. Not to the extent of
>the Nikons and Canons, perhaps, but certainly more than they do now.

I am sure that if Leica made a 20-35 zoom it would cost at least double the
$1,700.
I am sure also that the popularity of the Nikon lens is due to the fact that
there is a great number of individuals who need such a versatile focal
length. The fact that by all accounts the lens is a superb performer does
not detract from its appeal.
Advertising and hype can do only so much. If the result does not equal the
promise , the public will not be fooled for long.

If Leica is conservative in the choice of equipment produced, I am sure it
is because a very expensive lens to design and manufacture can be profitable
only if it can be sold in great numbers. Since Leica products are not
intended for the a mass market, I believe that the company has to be careful
in choosing its creations. Contax is in the same league.

I use Leica because I enjoy the feeling of quality in my hands but I do not
hold that Leica is the answer to all photographic problems. I own a Canon
with 20-35 as well as other lenses. Also I am not unhappy that not everyone
owns one.

Joseph Codispoti