Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica technology, creative control
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 16:56:00 -0400

If "dentists" make it possible for Leica to survive and even prosper ...
perhaps we should be a bit less judgemental...if collectors want to pay
a premium for a special engraving great! That means the company that makes
the cameras I choose to use will remain in business.

REPLY:

Absolutely true. I wasn't being judgmental. I just sound revoltingly
judgmental ;-) Who cares WHO buys the equipment. My real point is, as it's
been in a number of other posts, that Leica is pricing itself out of
existence. I would wager that the reason so few working pros use Leicas has
as much...or more...to do with price than it does with cost. Not many
photojournalists can rationalize a $1300 35 Summicron for an M when, for the
same money, they can get two Nikon AF D zooms....