Subject: Re: [Leica] R8 and Flashes (and batteries!)
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 19:49:03 -0500

At 06:05 AM 6/29/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Eric: I recall you previosly stating you have been using a Metz 40MZ-3 with
>your R8. I recently bought the -3 and appropriate adapter and have not yet
>been able to get the R8 acknowledging its presence in both the viewfinder
>and the rear window, tho the flash does go off. Do you think this could be
>the hot shoe contacts failing to "connect" properly?

Yes I think it could be. So, try cleaning the contacts, or have the flash
looked at, or find someone with an R8 to try it on. If it works on the
other camera, then it's your camera. If it's the flash, send it back for
warranty service, with the proper foot attached. Of course, you did check
the batteries to be fresh, right? I find it doesn't take long for them to
get worn down and take a long time to recycle. I'm going to get a Quantum
for it.

As a matter of fact, it is a battery hog now that I think of it, but then
it's more powerful than most of the competition.

On the other hand, the R8 is purely battery friendly! I've had the same set
of batteries now since April in the R8 with winder, and I rewind almost all
of my film by the winder, and I have yet to replace them.

That's got to be several hundred rolls of film so far...
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

She's always late. Her ancestors arrived on the June Flower.