Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica Brightline 21 Finder
From: Charles Dunlap <cdunlap@es.UCSC.EDU>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 08:55:55 -0800

>The X in the Contax viewfinder corresponds to the auto-focus brackets in
>the vf of the body, hardly a silly thing in an af camera.
>
>Chandos

>This doesn't seem to be of much use.
>>
>>-Charlie

Who said silly? Marginally useful, yes. Given that there is no parallax
correction for the auxilliary finder, as there is with the in-camera
finder, the X could be off the mark, especially in the close focussing
range where it might be most useful. It's probably better to use the
in-camera viewfinder for focussing in that case.

I've used a 20mm Russar on my M for a long time without rangefinder
coupling. The depth of field on the lens allowed me to estimate focus with
excellent results. The G lenses, of course, do not have depth of field
engravings so such an approach is more difficult.

- -Charlie