Subject: Re: [Leica] Leitz Anastigmat
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 23:15:49 -0400

At 02:04 PM 6/28/98 +0900, Tom Kumagai wrote:
>I would like to know what is the word "Anastigmat" from "Leitz
Anastigmat." I read some book about cameras,
>and learned that Anastigmat is a trademark by Zeiss. I thought that it is
an another name of Tesser,
>but some say, Trioter, the first version Plannar, or any other "high
performance" Zeiss Lenes are Anastigmats.

The Tessar design was first called the "Anastigmat" from Rudolph's design
of this epic formula in 1902 until Zeiss was found to have lost the
trademark in litigation in the early 'teens, though the name continued to
be a Zeiss trademark in Germany.  Hence, Leitz was forced to use this name
when they used a Tessar design for the original Leica camera.  Once the
Zeiss patent expired, in 1922, Leitz then retitled the lens the "ELMAX" for
"Ernst Leitz Max berek" and, later, the "ELMAR".

The Anastigmat is the Tessar.  All of those B&L Anastigmats used by Kodak
were Tessars made under license by B&L, Zeiss's American agency to World
War I.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!