Subject: Re: [Leica] Don't be shy (was wedding newbie)
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 22:20:01 +0100

Alan Hull wrote:

>Deep down Eric, I think you agree with me.  Anybody can take unobtrusive
>candids.  But GREAT photographs are made not found.  Anticipation with
>a helpful nudge from the photographer

Alan,

Come on, that's tripe and you know it!

What you are saying is, that all those who have gone before us as
photojournalists in war, tragedy, pleasure and the great issues of LIFE
magazine and the works of so many compassionate and caring photojournalists
were all  set-up photographs!

I suppose Eddie Adams set-up his shot in Viet Nam of the VC getting his
brains blown out? Or the quiet moments of President Kennedy in his office
by a staff photographer, the work of HCB, Capa, come on get serious!

<<<< Anybody can take unobtrusive candids.>>>>>

Well of course that's true, however what you are or appear to be doing is
belittling photojournalists who work as true recorders of life as we know
it around the world.

<<<But GREAT photographs are made not found.  Anticipation with a helpful
nudge from the photographer >>>>>>

Great photographs "are found!" The fleeting twinkle in the eye of a child,
the wrinkled hands of an aged person, the dead and dying in wars and
famine.  Sure anticipation has a lot to do with it, just as timing has
everything to do with photography. But it isn't up to the true
photojournalist to give anything a ""prod""....as that is interfering with
the way life is and has nothing to do with being an unobtrusive candid
photographer.