Subject: RE: Re: [Leica] Don't be shy (was wedding newbie)
From: srlondon@ibm.net
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 21:24 -0400

- ----Original Message-----
   >From:    	"Alan Hull" <hull@vaggeryd.mail.telia.com>

   >How can you inject your personality or style into a picture when you
   >are unobrusive?  How can you influence the scene by being invisible?

There is a fundamental difference in theory and intent between you and Ted here.  While Ted seems to be interested in a pure photojournalistic style, which is to say, depicting the event through the eyes of an independent observer without intervening in the event itself (i.e. journalism), you advocate modifying to procedings to suit your vision.  I suppose that there is no accounting for taste, but if a photographer I'd hired showed up at a family function and starting jabbing grandma in the ribs with a pool cue, I'd show him to the door and take my chance with the guests' disposable cameras.  Are you out to photograph a bridal shower or an evening of people being heckled  by a guy with a pool cue?  The goals are mutually exclusive in my mind.

>Right now for instance I am experimenting with a collapsable billiard
   >cue.  The padded end gives no offence when poked into the odd rib, and
   >I can keep my distance for better focussing in poor light.  It even
   >serves as a monopod when not used as a tickler.

I really hope you're kidding about the pool cue bit, by the way.  : )