Subject: Re: [Leica] Russar 20mm lens
From: nightblind@juno.com (Don B)
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 07:44:22 -0700

On Fri, 26 Jun 1998 09:16:28 +0100 Alex Brattell <alex@zetetic.co.uk>
writes:
>>I couldn't resist ordering a Russar 20mm 5.6 lens from Mr Cad, Croydon
UK for 200 UKpounds including finder. It will give me the option of a
wide view on my M6 (with a screw-bay adaptor) for very little weight
until the distant day when I get a Leica superwide.<<

>>Does anyone use this lens? any particular qualities? i.e Is it any
good?!<<

Alex,

I use a 20mm f/5.6 Russar and have been quite pleased with it so far.  Be
aware they do vary considerably in optical quality so shoot some photos
and check it out.  Take it back for an exchange if yours isn't as sharp
as you like.  Mine is not as sharp as a 21/3.4 Super Angulon I once had
but it isn't that far off either. Contrast wise, the Russar is also quite
close to the SA I had.   And at less than 1/3 the price of the used SA,
well I consider it an outstanding buy.  The lens is a bit awkward to use
until you get used to the aperture ring being in the front face of the
lens and remembering to set it there.  For the most part I leave mine set
at f/8 and just adjust the speed dial on the M6.  I don't even bother to
focus thanks to the tremendous depth of field.  I leave mine set at
infinity unless I am shooting extremely close.

Best,
Don

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]