Subject: Re: [Leica] Noctilux vs. Summicron
From: c.blaue@bmsg.de
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 11:19:13 +0200

Phil,
for years the Noctilux was my only lens for the M6. I travelled with it, did
theatre, beach, children, ... photography. Slides and B&W. From a users point
of view it is a great performer.

Technical stuff:
If stopped down to 5.6 or 8 far better than most other 50mm lenses.
The f2.0 Summicron is the lens for the ultimate performance. It is better
especially in the corners. As long as you concentrate on the middle of the
picture, the Noctilux sometimes even beates the Summicron (no user pictures,
but newspaper at different distances).

So here is my suggestion: Get the Noctilux. For ultra high resolution save
your money until you can afford an additional lens and get a different focal
length, eg. 2.8/90 or 35 Asph, either f1.4 or f2.0. This makes your outfit
much more flexible.

christoph