Subject: Re: [Leica] Newbie shooting at wedding shower
From: "Don Ferrario" <don@ferrario.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 15:44:55 -0400

Rom,

You've covered a lot of ground here....

I may get flamed for this, but I think you'll be disapointed
with the available-light only results.  As you note, the
light source is fluorescent, so the colors will be off.
This can be compensated for, but it is unlikely the
local minilab is going to get it right.

You're looking for high shutter speed, small aperture,
and low available light.  Not a likely combination.  Even
with a superspeed film, you're going to be lacking.
The superspeed films you are considering are going
to produce very poor color, unless you are seeking
some special effect.

If this is for wedding candids, I'd break down and
use a flash.  You can still use a moderately high
speed film (Fuji 800 is nice), and a 1/45 shutter
speed (the flash sync speed on your M6).  Use
your 35mm lens at about f5.6 or f8 (assuming
your flash will operate in auto mode at that setting).

The flash doesn't need to be a powerful one.  I
have an old Olympus very small auto unit that
I use on my M6 for such occasions.  Its only
about 2" tall.

The combination of the shutter speed and lens
opening, plus 800-speed film, will give you *some*
available light in the photos.  That will open up the
shadows left by the flash (as opposed to a dark
background).

F8 should give you enough depth of field with the
35mm lens.

Everyone will have an opinion on this.  If you were
shooting black&white, my advice would be different.

don ferrario