Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica S1
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 20:41:03 -0500

At 08:41 AM 6/24/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Eric.......why does a photojournalist NEED an SLR?  What can you not
>accomplish (except for TTL flash) with an M camera?

Photojournalists have to be flexible, and fast. Macro lenses for the
picture fo the thistle weevil on the tip of the finger of the etymologist.

Extreme lenses for when people are shooting at police or photographers and
they don't want to get M6 close to get a useful picture.

Football. I shot it ounce with a 35mm lens (practice) ---Ouch!

Zoom lenses.

Extreme wide lenses - though this is less of a valid argument since you can
adapt a 16mm f/8 hologon while they're still available. But for about the
same money used, why not an R 15mm Super Elmar.

TTL flash, as you say,

automatic exposure,

Shutter priority,

1/8000 second shutter,

1/250 flash sync,

exacting composition at close settings that are parallax-free.

There are other reasons, I guess.

They're bigger, so better for self defense against thugs? :-)
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Borg-Cola: Not the choice of the next generation.