Subject: [Leica] screw mount lenses?
From: jeremy.kime@bbc.co.uk
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 13:07:00 +0000

James,

You'll no doubt get as many suggested preferences as there are answers so
there aren't really any hard and fast rules.

The Elmar was the lens on which the Leica legend was made, trust it. The
2.8 version gave you an extra 1/2 a stop, probably not worth the extra
cost.
Most people deride the Summar, I got one because it was the cheapest
Leica lens you could buy, don't expect flare free pictures into the sun
and it's a bargain.
The Summarit is cheaper than the Summicron and is a vast improvement on
the Summar, if you need F2 then it's perhaps the best compromise between
price and performance.

The VIOOH, like the VIDOM, covered 35-135mm. One of them is right way
round viewing (I can never remember which...) and therefore the most
practical, strangely HC-B liked the reversed picture version where he
argued that it distanced the photographer from the subject sufficiently
for him/her to see the photo geometrically, as a composition. It takes a
lot of practice to become proficient with that finder though. The Leitz
multi-finders were masking devices (the 135 image is a lot smaller than
the 35mm image) there were other firms that made zoom finders such as
TEWE, also sold under the Braun brand, a good design, but like many other
non-Leitz finders, the size of the viewing image is disapointing along
with the small angle of viewing availability (ie. the placing of the eye
is quite critical behind the eyepiece).

The 9cm Elmar (many versions) is small, lightwieght, competant and cheap.

Alternative brand lenses range from laughable in quality to every bit as
good as the contemporary Leica lenses. Check old 'Viewfinder' copies
(from the LHSA) for reports on the major Nikon and Canon options, read
Marc's book, 'Non Leica LTM Lenses',  for advice on the Russian/Soviet
angle. As has been mentioned before the quality can be rather variable,
sample to sample, with the Soviet stuff. Ensure you get an
exchange/refund deal when buying.

Ultimately, you have to decide whether the quality is up to what you
want. It can't be as good as the latest Apo / Asph leneses from Leica but
you can't be expecting that can you? It will certainly be good enough to
enjoy.

Jem

>My next question is which 50 screwmount is the affordable
>GEM?  The elmar? summar? or the summarit?
>Also what is the coverage of the VIOOH finder that seems so highly
rated?
>Any info on 90mm lenses?
>James
>PS.  Just how good are the Nikons, Canons, and Russian lenses?  ie.
which