Subject: [Leica] RE: Screw camera suggestion
From: jeremy.kime@bbc.co.uk
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 14:41:00 +0000

James,
Go for it! I'd reccomend an early screw Leica, I take mine on my hols
each year. I started with a model II (D in US talk) and if you don't need
slow speeds, then that's OK, prior to the IIIc the lens mount was built
seperate to the rangefinder housing, some folks think this presents more
oppurtunities for misalignment between the two, for myself I've never had
that problem and I've had a III and a IIIb as well.
Get a IIIc or IIIf if you want that reassurance of structural stability
in the camera (and flash sync with the f) but they are a few millimetres
longer, the IIIg is larger again, not to mention expensive.
Use a 50mm lens if you want true portability otherwise you're into using
finders and they make the camera unpocketable (well, knobbly!) if you do
go down the wider angle / larger d.o.f. route then try and get a Leitz
finder for that single focal length though they're v. expensive. They're
a better shape (less knobbly) than the multi-finders Leitz produced. If
you buy another make of finder, check you can return it, I've had some
'foriegn' finders which were so off-centre in their image, I lost nearly
half the picture. Check the framing on the first roll carefully. I did
have a Zeiss 35 finder which was good.
Lenses to reccomend are various but the last generation of screw lenses
were great, the 35/2.8 Summaron stands out in my memory as being v.
sharp, and as you probably know there are also new (non-Leica) screw
lenses being made today.

Jem

=========================
From: "James Burris" <jabu@direct.ca>

Howdy,

 Sorry for the subject title, I really should get out more.  Anyways, in
my
search for a more pocketable Leica, a fellow LUG member (kw) gave me a
great idea .  Why not a III screw-mount?  Well as compared to a P/S, I
want
to know what other users think.  What is the film loading like?  Is it a
nightmare, or does one eventually get the hang of it?  Also I'll be
wanting
a 35mm lens for it.  What's the best one?  Speed isn't a huge feature for
me, but it would be nice if it performs as well as the slower options.
What about viewfinders?
Thanks,  James

P.S.  or maybe I should just go out and by one of those scale-focussing
(yuck!) Rolleis.