Subject: [Leica] puts commentary
From: JZa1058168@aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 18:59:34 EDT

Having read Erwin Puts commentary about statistics and using Leicas, I'd like
to weigh in on this subject. I like Erwin's premise that the Leica is a tool
and needs to be used  in those circumstances for which it has been designed
(and there are a lot of them). I further agree that Leica users need to
reflect on the basic qualities of our equipment and exploit the core of our
craft and expertise. His recommended discussion of what we LUGGERS think are
the real virtues of Leica with a focus on technique to get "the most ephemeral
of qualities: Leica quality" is most worthwhile.

In Erwins case, however, it seems that his Leica technique might be somewhat
restricted with no film speeds over 100 ISO and always transparency and B and
W film with a mandatory tripod when the shutter speeds drop below 1/125th.
Paul Wolff, Henri Cartier-Bresson, Alfred Eisenstaedt, Kertz and many other
famous Leica photographers didn't place such constraints on their Leica use.

The beauty of the Leica is its flexibility wherein it can be used across a
wide spectrum of situations. In a low-light situation, the requirement is to
know your equipment and how to use it so well that you can reliably get the
tough shots MOST OF THE TIME with one or possibly two exposures.

Many Leicaphiles are overly concerned with owning the latest and greatest
equipment thinking this is their photographic salvation. Owning the latest
Aspherical lenses will not substitute for solid Leica technique. A 1948 IIIc
with a 50/3.5 Elmar in the hands of a capable photographer can make stunning
images.  It is, after all, the image that is important and the lack of Leica
users and owners involved in learning and using darkroom skills tell me their
priorities are skewed. In my opinion, the 4" x 6" one-hour lab color prints
don't make the grade as "Leica photography".

ISO 400 and 1600 films are for a purpose. So are f1 and f1.4 lenses. I too,
love the 100 ISO films, but when I go into a low light situation, a club or
theater, I need fast film and fast lenses to make a good image. Flexibility is
the key word and this is why many award-winning photojournalists use the
Leica....Sabastiao Salgado and Larry Towell to name two.

The key to learning and developing Leica technique is regular use of the
Leica...day in and day out or whenever possible, then processing your own work
and being very critical of it. It also helps to study the works of some
masters (as many here do) of the Leica. Strict prescriptions on film, f stops
and shutter speeds are not the answer. Only through regular, continuing
experience can we begin to "exploit the core of our craft" which will provide
each of us with our own solutions and approaches to becoming better Leica
photographers thereby helping us attain ".. that most ephemeral of qualities:
Leica quality".

Joe Zarick, Cincinnati, Ohio., JZa1058168@aol.com