Subject: Re: [Leica] all I have to say.....end of discussion
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 22:14:19 -0400

All;
I go to the beach for a week, and all hell breaks loose!
From what I can see, Francesco offered a LUG site, gratis, but wanted
originals to scan; a caution that would have spared him the trouble we read
he had with Playboy(R); I can understand his caution, and would not consider
it a blatant rip-off. Thank you for the offer, Francesco. It is a generous
one, and I hope no one has chased you away. If you set up the site, please
let me know what the rules are- after all, it is your site.
As for the others, indidividual pecadilloes have no bearing on whether or
not I read their contributions. I came here to learn about Leicas, exchange
ideas, a witticism or two, and I think it silly that we run anyone away
because of something not remotely Leically relevant. I hate it that Alf
seems to think he is not appreciated. He offered many valuable tips, and I
learned a great deal from him. As for the continuing invective against
certain dealers, I am a grown man, and I have made my decision; further
messages on this/ that subject are subject to deletion- no sweat, no strain
and no 'hollering' about it.
Working as a 911 operator and dispatcher for over 22 years gave me a
peculiar out look on the human equation; some of you folks think what goes
on here is some big deal. After talking to the gut shot, stabbed, beaten,
robbed and generally victimized citizenry for all those years, I can tell
you that none of you seem to have any really major problems. Lighten up!
Okay, my secrets are out, I admit it. I eat peanut butter and pickle
sandwiches, drink red wine with ice in it, sometimes check out the nudey
sites, and buy outdated film because I'm cheap. I take Prozac because it
keeps me from being an insufferable asshole, and I think some of the writers
to this forum should try it.
Now... can anyone tell me about the pros and cons of the Vario-Elmar
35-70/3.5; I took it to the beach and I love it! Is there something wrong
with me for feeling this way? The front element seems to be concave!?, did
the older model have an aspheric element? I printed out the negs on Kodak
Royal VII paper and I noticed no barrel or pincushion distortion, but I was
not shooting an optical test target.
Thanks-
Dan'l
P.S.- If I forgot to mention my favorite curmugeons, Marvin and Marc, I
apologise. I love these guys. They have probably forgotten more Leica stuff
than I'll ever know, and I mention them so they will not feel hurt and leave
the group :)
dwpost@msn.com