Subject: Re: [Leica] 35/2 ASPH lenshood (uncontroversial)
From: Charles Dunlap <cdunlap@es.UCSC.EDU>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 14:00:34 -0800

>I believe it is called a "UV Cap", or something like that.
>
>Dan C.

There is one drawback to this cap as I learned the hard way. It will
introduce reflections when shooting a strong light source in a dark scene.
I took some photos in a church (Kodak E200 pushed to 800--very nice colors,
haven't tried the Fuji 100/1000 yet) and in one dark room with devotional
candles my candle flames appeared twice in the photograph, once in the
original location and again off to the right. There must have been a ghost
in this old church. I also got flare around the edge of a skylight in the
dark dome in the roof of this church. These reflections were not limited to
one lens; it's not the lens.

Take off the filter when working in dark places with bright light sources.

- -Charlie