Subject: Re: [Leica] minilux zoom v. contax tvs
From: Charles Dunlap <cdunlap@es.UCSC.EDU>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 12:42:14 -0800

>>I just took a look at the Minilux Zoom (MZ) today. The MZ viewfinder is
>>brighter than the Tvs viewfinder...
>
>Since the TVS viewfinder is about as bright as an IR filter at midnight
>this is a weak recommendation.
>
>(My wife recently traded her TVS for an M3 w/35 Summicron)
>
>kw

Yes, the Tvs finder is dimmer, but it's perfectly useable under normal
lighting. Even indoors (a child's birthday party, for instance) it is
adequate. Contax should brigthen it up, but it's just about the only thing
that _is_ beter on the Minilux Zoom--I still haven't seen photos with the
MZ, however, and reserve the right to be very wrong about it in the end!
Part of my motive in being such a vocal critic in this instance is the hope
that someone at Leica reads the list and will prod the home office to
produce point and shoots with competitive specifications. I would buy the
MZ over the Tvs if the lens were clearly better, but a lot of folks would
choose the Tvs as a better compromise between lens and body. I would like
to see the MZ be clearly the better choice. Leica had a chance to leapfrog
the competition and they didn't even try.

- -Charlie