Subject: Re: [Leica] Is the Leica an endangered species?
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 1998 08:21:46 -0500

At 01:06 PM 6/21/98 +0200, you wrote:

>refocussed) to ensue exactt focus and control trembling hands.I always try
>to find a light direction that enhances contours and texture detail. Never
>use an aperture smaller than f/8.0 and preferably between 2,8 and 4. Etc

I don't believe for a minute 135 is dead in 4 years. And I would like to
know where you got the number 25 percent on APS market penetration.

But even if that's all true, the philosophy of Leica will continue. But the
bodies will have to change. They will take the small film format of the day
(APS) and place their lenses on a camera that uses it. So even if 135 dies,
Leica will only have to change their bodies to hold APS film. That would
mean a complete redesign of the bodies, and then recomputing of lenses, or
bigger bodies than necessary. The M that wouldn't probably be that big a
deal. They already have tiny lenses. But the R system would look way
oversized for the film. But Leica would make the best  pictures laid down
on APS film.

But I don't think that's going to be the case. People have been wrong for
the last 10-12 years about the death of film. No change there, I'm willing
to bet.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO