Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica-Users List Digest V3 #129 (P&S Recommendations)
From: Larry Kopitnik <kopitnil@mra-inc.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 13:10:36 -0500

. I would be interested if any Luggers
have a different opinion on the Minilux or if they have found the ideal P&S.

Paul T. Collura

Paul - It may be dangerous to suggest this on this list, but check out the
Olympus Stylus Epic. It has a terrifically good 35 2.8 lens, the autofocus
is accurate, the flash is good. It doesn't have all sorts of manual
overrides, etc., but it is what it is supposed to be, a P&S that produces
excellent results - for about $100, which is hard to beat. It lacks the
cachet of the Leicas, Contaxes, etc., but it produces good results at a
fraction of the cost. Great little camera to just keep in your jacket pocket
all the time.

B. D.

I'll second this recommendation.  The lens is amazingly sharp in the
center, softer at the edges. I've found the f/2.8 aperture to be quite
useful. With the camera in spot mode, you know precisely what you're
metering and focusing on. Being pocketable, weather resistant and
inexpensive, I take it places my larger and more costly equipment doesn't
go. Not the poshness of the titanium cameras, perhaps, but it can deliver
surprisingly good photos.

Larry